Friday, June 6, 2008

Wildlife Photography------ A Passion To Pursue: Aftermath of NGC Exhibition!

I owe the idea of wildlife photography much to National Geographic Channel, especially, the programmes like Nat Geo Wild and Nat Geo Classics that used to capture my imagination since the days of its inception in Indian television. In addition to this, my love for pets and wildlife initiated in me by Jim Corbett and Kenneth Anderson has gone a long way in making this hobby a passion to pursue.

I am grateful to many persons and organizations who have helped me and off course the relentless enthusiasm I received from my mother were a constant source of inspiration. I have also got an able school friend, Subhas Roy, who shares the same view as me. Our mental wavelengths match and both of us share the same opinion. It’s better to shoot by a camera than by a gun. Our partnership has grown from the day we ventured in this new game that is catching on pace in the Indian subcontinent.

My association with NCBS/ GKVK (National Centre for Biological Sciences/ Gandhi Krishi Vigyana Kendra) at Hebbal, Bangalore started during my B.Sc. days where I had done a DBT project as a part of my curriculum. My childhood interest drew me closer to the Centre for Ecological Sciences, IISc, Bangalore where I am still a member and volunteer. Later in 2008, my association with one of India’s most renowned “Tiger Biologist”, Dr. Suhail Quader came to me as a ‘dream come true’.

My association with him as a photographer has taken me to some of India’s richest and densest forests, blossoming with the goodness of its natural flora and fauna, like Bandipur (Our present centre at Project Tiger Census 2007-11), Mudumalai, Sanjay Gandhi National Park in Thane (Mumbai), Jim Corbett National Park, Himalaya foothills at Almora, Sunderbans, Naamkhali Tiger Reserve in Sunderbans, Kaziranga in Assam and the latest addition to this growing list are Nagerhole National Park in Madikeri (Coorg) and Wayanad Sanctuary on Kerala/ Karnataka border.

As a part of Project Tiger at Bandipur, I have got some of the wonderful opportunities to film the wild at its supreme best. It has lend me opportunities to culminate and hone my photographing skills and perhaps that is the reason and with God’s immense blessings my photographs were selected for exhibition by National Geographic Asia at Bombay Natural History Society at Mumbai, this Sunday on 18 May 2008.

The photographs that were selected along with some of my best photographs are here below:

---------Please

Find

Attached--------

I am grateful to BBC Wildlife, WWF India, BNHS (Mumbai), GreenPeace and NGC Asia for selecting my photos for exhibition.

I am also equally grateful to Empower Research Knowledge Services Pvt. Ltd. to have given every weekend holidays that helps me in pursuing my passion and keeps me at right pace with my job, my second hobby. Its refreshing break from the busy schedule of ones life to spend 2 of the seven days in the lap of mother nature. Its exhilarating to such an extent that the break can pump up your cylinders and you are right there raring to go and start a new beginning of a new week. Perhaps my article can inspire others to broaden their love for nature.

By Arunava Das, Media Analyst, MM Team. 21-05-2008

No comments: